January 2, 2011

A Blog By Any Other Name

Those of you who know me are probably thinking to yourself, "hey, wait a sec - don't you already have a blog?  What's this one all about?"

That's true, of course.  The the other blog ran for six years before I shuddered it at the beginning of 2010.  At the time, I felt it had run its course and wanted to focus on some other stuff.  I didn't realize how much I'd missed it.  There's only so much popping of and pontificating one can do in the confines of Facebook.

Fine, but why a whole new blog?  Well, for one thing, restarting the Ranch after a post titled "Los Endos" just seems silly. It means "the end," after all.

For another, I wanted to change the focus just a little bit. To be sure, I'll still go off about "the important things in life - law, politics, music, racing, soccer, etc." But I intend for posts to be a little more informed, thoughtful, and in depth than in the old days. No more, "here's a link to a news story + snarky comment."  Also, I'm going to try awful hard to stay away from politics, at least where it doesn't bump up against legal stuff.  I'm just burned out on the "my side uber alles" tribalism that passes for political discourse these days.

I also wanted to shift to a more personal focus. Not to descend into a "what I had for breakfast today" blog, but talk about what I'm writing, reading, listening to, etc. I promise, I won't be bearing my soul in an ugly way.

That being said, what's the name mean? It popped into my head while listening to the (I think) second album by Baltimore proggers Dark Aether Project, which is called Feed the Silence. It's a good turn a phrase and it made me think about one of the reasons I shut down the Ranch - because it didn't seem like anyone was actually reading it. So, if anything, I can say I'll be feeding the silence, even if nothing ever bounces back.

No comments:

Post a Comment