June 7, 2011

I Sing the Genome Electric (Redux)

Last month I blogged about the Genetic Music Project and said I thought it would be fun to play around with the idea.  It turned out to be more inspirational than I thought.  The first result of my playing around is now upon the site, called "Errors of Avoidance."

As it says there, I used the Avoidance of Error marker as a guide.  In addition to doing the usual thing of matching up each nucleotide with a specific pitch (as written, with T = E-flat), I took four 10-letter sequences and gave each nucleotide it's own sound in a drum machine.*  Then I used the sequences to develop rhythmic patterns.  I used each of the four patters, with various synthy goodness going on over the top.  I'm quite happy with it.  Greg, the proprietor of GMP, has kindly called it "Trippy, retro, quirky, awesome."  I'll take it!

There will be more to come.  It's both confining and liberating to limit yourself to four notes (more or less) and see what you can come up with.

You'll also see that I've set up an account at Soundcloud.  Expect new music there in the coming weeks.  Of course, I'll be sure to blog about it.  You know you can't live without this stuff. :)

*  The CR78 userbank for Hammerhead, if you're curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment